Does Soju Make You Fat? 🍾
IS SOJU REALLY FATTENING?
When you look at this photo of a hot and stunning Korean girl with a question about "Love" and the answer being "Chum Churum" (the name of the soju brand) written across this ad, I doubt most of us are thinking, "How many Chum Churum Soju #calories does a bottle of Chum Churum have?" For men like me who enjoys drinking soju, and after looking at this ad, the thought process normally goes "Yes! I love Chum Churum!" Thoughts about soju #calories in a soju shot, or calories per soju bottle are hardly in our minds. In fact, the question "does soju make you fat?" may not even become a concern. However, the fact is soju can make you fat. And we should always keep in mind that any food or drinks with calories in it can make you gain weight.
HOW DOES SOJU MAKE YOU FAT?
To answer this question, we need to know what happens to alcohol when we digest it in our bodies. If you didn't already know, alcohol does not get processed as stored energy like the other foods we eat, namely carbs, proteins, and fats. Alcohol gets broken down to a compound known as acetate which is toxic to the body. So the body will use its energy to rid it from the system. By doing so, rather than using energy from the other foods we eat, the body uses the energy we consume from alcohol to get rid of the alcohol. It makes sense to use a breath analyzer then when we consume a lot of alcohol, as the body will literally do almost anything to get rid of it. At a certain point, if we drink enough liquor, it will begin to exit the body even through breath and sweat. 😬
SOJU AND #CALORIES
According to numerous websites, a bottle of soju contains approximately 540 calories. You can check one website here, which verifies this estimate: Soju Calories Per Bottle. Also keep in mind that most people, even myself, will drink soju with high calorie foods. For instance, I sometimes enjoy the soju taste with Korean BBQ. So let's say I ate about a half a pound of pork bellies (according to Google that equals 1,175 cal) with 2 bottles of soju (1080 cal), that will all total to about 2,255 calories. And all these calories are in just one meal. These calories do not include what I ate during the day. Considering it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound of fat, this number is pretty staggering. 😬
SOME KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER TO ENJOY SOJU WITHOUT ITS SIDE EFFECT OF MAKING YOU FAT
1. Always remember that soju can make you fat since it contains #calories that give the body energy. Once consumed, your body will use its energy to get rid of soju and store the other energy foods we consumed for another time til the alcohol is gone from our system.
2. You can always drink soju even if your goal is weight loss so long as you keep count of its calories.
3. There is about 7 shots of soju in a soju bottle. So there is approximately 75-80 calories per shot of soju.
4. If you drink soju with food, try to pick low calorie items to eat if possible. Limit yourself on the number of calories if weight loss is your ultimate goal.
5. There are many cocktail soju drinks such as peach soju cocktail that adds more calories to the drink as cocktails contain sugar. You will have to limit your calories more when having them.
And that is all for now! I hope this blog gave some important tips for your fitness goals. 💪👍